Saturday, April 24, 2010

Turkey & Brie. A highly complemented sandwich.



I love sandwiches. A girlfriend of mine always teased that whenever I was asked what sounded good for lunch, I'd reply, "Oh, I don't know. Some good bread, cheese, maybe some meat." To which she'd respond, "So. You mean a sandwich."

"Uh. Yeah! Sure. A sandwich."

They're my "go-to" of the food world. And it always amazes me that just a little extra effort on a sandwich is, like, SQUARED in the taste bud-reward-department. Which is a really great department. You spend half of the time of regular meal preparation and yet you end up with a delicious and satisfying repast. Who would argue with that?

I just found this beauty on, I think it was, Cooking Light's site. REALLY good sandwich. And GET watercress to make this, no substitutes. It COMPLETES this.

The flavors are so complementary and mild. I would be tempted to add some slivered white onion, but I think you'd lose the pepperiness of the watercress. And for all you southern Missourians - we get watercress at the Cabool farmers' market. Grown LOCALLY in our beautiful fresh springs!

NEAT-O!!!

Another watercress favorite is an incredible creamy potato, onion, and watercress soup!


Turkey, Brie, Green Apple & Watercress on Baguette
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons coarse mustard
  • 1 (8-ounce) French bread baguette
  • 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey breast
  • 1/4 pound Brie cheese, thinly sliced - I probably used more. Okay. I used more.
  • 1 cup trimmed watercress
  • 1 cup thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

Preheat oven to 475°.

Combine honey and mustard in a small bowl. Cut bread in half lengthwise; place on a baking sheet and toast in oven 3-4 minutes, turn and toast just a bit longer (you want chewy, not tough). Spread honey mixture on bottom half of loaf; top with turkey and cheese. Bake until cheese begins to melt.

Arrange watercress and apple slices onto melted cheese; sprinkle with pepper. Cover with top half of loaf, and cut into 4 portions.



3 comments:

  1. looks excellent, as all your recipes do!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good sandwich, but the bread is important. Where do you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls! Stac, that above is one of my favorites, but Boone finds it in Springfield, can't remember the brand. The next time he brings one home I'll photog it and post the brand name. They're in the frozen section, a long skinny baguette in a clear and blue plastic bag. They're so good and chewy, lots of holes and a good sourdoughy taste. Most supermarket "French" breads are just like sandwich bread, to me.

    Panera also has a decent baguette, but honestly, nothing like this supermarket frozen one. Plus you can stock up on them in your freezer - convenient when you live in the more rural reaches. They make AWESOME pain perdu and garlic croutons!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love what you see when you walk out your front door.